meebo bar

Banksy Storms New Orleans: Banksy vs. the Grey Ghost


"I came to New Orleans to do battle with the Gray Ghost."
On August 28th 2008, the day before the third anniversary of the storm, the controversial British, urban guerilla graffiti artist Banksy travelled to New Orleans.
His plan: to hit the place fast and have his easily recognizable stencil based works in place to commemorate the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
“Three years after Katrina I wanted to highlight the state of the clean up operation.
I looked out the window of the taxi on the drive into New Orleans and remarked “There’s still so much devastation I can’t believe they haven’t cleaned this mess up”, to which the driver
stared at me and said “This part of the city wasn’t affected by the hurricane-it’s always looked like this.””....

1 comment:

  1. I'll say this for the artist, he manages to leave behind some detailed work without notice. Most of the graffiti I see locally is just quick-n-dirty spraypainting. Banksy is someone that takes their time with this.

    ReplyDelete